Monday, January 14, 2013

Greek Spaghetti

This is my favorite meal, hands down. My Grandma used to make it every conference weekend so we only had it twice a year. I have some of the greatest memories sitting around my grandparents table (or at the kids table) spending time with my amazing family and eating Greek spaghetti, chicken, and spinach pies. I didn't learn how to make this until I went off to college and I made a special trip home one weekend just to learn the ropes. The real Greek spaghetti takes all day to get the lamb broth to cook the noodles in but this is the easy adaptation!

I searched online looking for other Greek Spaghetti recipes and didn't find any that were made like this. There were a lot of other versions and you can add other ingredients like feta cheese, tomatoes, kalamota olives and so on but this is how I prefer it!



Here is the recipe (well, the adapted version!)
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
Serves: 6
2 12 Oz. Packages of Spaghetti 
13 oz. Chicken Stock
3 cups water
1/4 cup butter
1 to 1 1/2lbs. parmesan cheese 

  1. Boil chicken stock & water in a pot big enough to cook noodles in
  2. Heat oven to 200 degrees
  3. Lay noodles out on baking sheet in a thin layer
  4. Put noodles in the oven while the broth is heating up (about 5-7 minutes)
  5. Once broth is boiling, add noodles and cook until al dente (usually about 10-12 minutes). Since the noodles have been dried out in the oven, they will absorb a lot of the liquid.
  6. Butter a 9x13 baking dish (I like a glass dish for this recipe)
  7. Heat oven up to 325 degrees
  8. Drain noodles and then layer in baking dish until the bottom is covered
  9. Add a layer of parmesan cheese over noodles
  10. Layer another round of noodles over cheese and repeat (keep going until all the noodles are used-I usually have two to 3 layers of cheese and make sure you have enough to coat the top, that is the best part!)
  11.  Heat the butter up in a frying pan until it just starts to turn brown
  12. Remove from heat and pour the browned butter over the spaghetti
  13. Place dish into the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes (or until cheese has melted)
  14. Once the cheese has mostly melted, turn the broiler on and cook for another 1-2 minutes to crisp the cheese on top
 Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment